Tuesday 23 February 2021

Giving me the ich - Scambus elegans

On a nocturnal visit to Cullaloe this week I spotted what I thought was a spider dangling from a Willow branch. Slipping the rim of the net under it I scooped it - only to find a female ichneumonid wasp in the net. No spider, though there could have been one which has been saved from a sticky end.

Early investigations made me head for Pimplinae and - yippee! - I have a key. It has literally taken me all day on and off to unpack the vagaries of wasp key glossary madness (errr, I mean I was working from home). I ended up at Scambus elegans, and, unbelievably, this seems to be correct. There are 4 records on NBN. If it's univoltine and mature in February that's no wonder, though. What kind of idiot's looking for Ichneumons in February?

This happy idiot :)

Spot the yellow stigmata

Shiny posterior to tergites are typically pimpline

Subtle elegans-ness

Short numbers note: despite spending years looking at Cullaloe and a whole year hammering it for a 1K challenge only two years ago I've seen in the first 7 weeks of 2021: 14 new diptera, 4 new spiders, 23 new beetles, 8 new bugs and a new wasp. This has to be, in part, from ignoring everything that isn't an invertebrate. There must be some sort of lesson there.

Here's some old wasp



1 comment:

  1. It's certainly an impressive start, can't dispute that. Sweet toonage too.

    ReplyDelete