Friday 19 February 2021

Nymph-tastic

Easy, tiger. Went pond dipping with the boy at lunchtime and we didn't fare very well in diversity. However, spying a couple of nymphs with three tails had me reaching for a pot, and excitedly hauling the brand new "Pictorial Guide to British Ephemeroptera" from the shelves. I had only just noticed that nymphs were keyed too, so I was hopeful this might just work.

Unlike many other things that I thought were difficult (and they were) this turned out to be easier than expected. Beginner's luck, no doubt. Gills at the side of the body, streamlined body, antennae relatively long -> Baetidae. Lovely. "Tails" unbanded, centre one shorter -> 5 spp. of Baetis. O.K....

Couple of species out of range; check the others. Baetis rhodani ... gill 1 and 7 same size - yup, gill edge with spines as well as hairs - yup. Spines separate B.rhodani from all other Baetis. Awesome! And habitat is spot on in stony-bottomed fast moving stream. My first ever mayfly keying, and it's only February. Happy days.



Baetis rhodani is the 48th new species for the reserve this year and the 32nd new species for me (from here)


No comments:

Post a Comment