Monday 25 January 2021

Field sports

It reached a whopping 5 degrees today on the car readout as I headed to Cullaloe. A brief swish at the spruces that divide the reserve from the neighbouring cottage garden and then back to business on the grass pile - though not before snagging a Phaonia tuguriorum from the sunny fence. I dug modereately deeply into the pile under a thick layer of frost, but far from the core of this bountiful bump. I did pot a few flies from the trees, but let's see if I can ID them first! 

The delightful (non-springy) springtail Neanura muscorum showed up a few times, and oddly turned out to be new to the reserve. Also featuring in those already determined was the fat-nosed weevil Rhinoncus leucostigma, (pericarpius as was). I was delighted to add this to my list and the reserve list until I went to the spreadsheet to find that... I sieved it from a grass pile in 2019! It likes a bit of Persicaria so presumably from the abundant Redshank on the reserve.

N.muscorum

Phaonia tuguriorum


Rhinoncus leucostigma

That little bundle takes us to 112 inverts on the reserve so far this year, 31 new. Let's not mention the weevil I fumbled the ID of and didn't keep the voucher and which was turned round the post by the weevil goalie on iRecord. Dammit. Bound to happen from time to time.




No comments:

Post a Comment