Tuesday 5 January 2021

The shore thing ...

 Been a good day for the reserve list with some nice new things to add for the year and for the site.

First up is new-to-county Limnellia fallax, a shore fly (Ephydridae) from a Deschampsia tussock at the filter beds.


It came from this collection:


The fact that it was a mature tussock under a tree and next to water all came together for a very nice winter refuge. Many more repeats were dumped from the tray, too. I also discovered a nice grass pile, and some even older stalks of something that will all repay more scrutiny. I figured there was enough in the pots to leave them alone this time. Much of it was either repeat or difficult, but some, such as ground beetles Paradromius linearis and Trichocellus placidus were routine and known fro the site.

Also new was, I was surprised to find, Psylliodes napi, which it turned out I recorded in Dalgety Bay - hence my initial confusion.


On 24 beetles for 2021 now, which means I may try to squeeze out another before bedtime to meet the month target. I may also have to get a new target.

Wonder what my chances are of getting out this Gelis? Nice antennae.


post script ...

Stenus brunnipes, 2021 species #60, beetle #25




No comments:

Post a Comment