Saturday 30 January 2021

January totals

Triplax aenea

So January finished with much higher invertebrate totals across the board than I anticipated, despite ice, snow, hail and frost for much of the month. The baited bottle trap succumbed to wind and rain, with water ingress forcing off the bait chamber. However, there's nothing that would be there in freezing weather in January that won't be findable in February and it's a good thing I'll still have something to count. February is a hard shift in year listing because so much of what's there is already listed in January. That being said, additions haven't really slowed.

I managed to find something to fit into most of the categories, and even found new species in a good many (bold in table). Some smaller categories I have completed 100% of target, but targets are there to be exceeded. All in all, 38 species have been added to the reserve list so far, 26 of which were also new to me. I was amazed to be able to find 50 species of beetle, not counting a few I haven't identified, and just sneaked over the line on 20 spiders with Bathyphantes approximatus on the 30th (new to me but known from the reserve). New to both me and the reserve on the 30th was the beauty queen of woodlice (?), Porcellio spinicornis. I feel like I must have seen it before, but then I turned out not to have P.scaber on my list, so who knows!

The reserve total now stands at 2188.


CategoryCount
mollusc4
annelid2
flatworm1
harvestman4
pseudoscorpion1
spider20
gall mite0
tick1
millipede3
centipede2
crustacean5
collembola7
odonata0
dermaptera0
orthoptera0
hemiptera10
coleoptera50
diptera18
lep-moth0
lep-butterfly0
hymenoptera2
insect-other1
invert-other0
Total131

2 comments:

  1. I'm a bit frustrated that I've chosen not to undertake any kind of a numbers challenge regards inverts/PSL this year. I am in competition with The Ghost for the second year running regards our diptera tallies, but otherwise I'm just 'doing' spiders and flies - though I did grab a couple of springtails, beetles and a millipede today. Well, be rude not to... Mightily impressed by your consistent drive to be out there amongst it all, and you're certainly reaping the rewards! I had Philoscia affinis today (already submitted and verified on iRecord!) but would love to clap eyes on spinicornis, been a long long time since I saw one of those beauties!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've honestly probably overlooked lots of woodlice, just grabbing the big4 + pygmy usually. You should have a latitude handicap on spider/fly competitions!

      Delete