Thursday 18 March 2021

Salix in Wonderland

I spent a happy lunchtime getting a crick in my neck to look at Salix catkins yesterday, mostly trying to avoid the 100s of honey bees that I think have something to do with the reserve's neighbour.


It seemed to take forever this year to have any open catkins but finally "project tussock" has been overtaken by "project catkin". Yesterday a reasonable collection of flies was made, with many more duplicates not taken or released after ID. Papilio binoculars help no end in identifying target beasts and body-swerving the others.



All from Salix so far have been:
Scathophagidae: Scathophaga stercoraria
Calliphoridae: Calliphora vicina 
Polleniidae: Pellenia rudis
Syrphidae: Melangyna lasiophthalma, Melangyna quadromaculata, Eristalis pertinax
Muscidae: Eudasyphora cyanella, Muscina levida, Phaonia tuguriorum
Anthomyiidae: Egle ciliata.
Tahcinidae: Tachina ursina

I've probably forgotten some (and no mention of bees, beetles, moths). Anyway, also first butterflies were two hyperactive Peacocks, one of which took a shine to the kite net while I was checking a specimen


And swept from grass was one of my faves - Stenocranus minutus



I thought I might reach the 250 mark last night, but it wasn't to be. With only two species required it will almost certainly be today.



No comments:

Post a Comment