Tuesday 2 March 2021

The Overwhelming

As spring has sprung the Time of Overwhelming draws ever nearer, and there's no doubt I'm flirting dangerously with it. This morning I spent a happy lunchbreak at Land O' Tussocks, which was once known as "The Orchid Meadow" and is now a sea of Deschampsia and Juncus tussocks, intermittently mown by the occasional presence of a couple of sheep. It has a cracking damp/wet spot in the middle which is bordered by Water Avens and it holds Marsh Thistle, Marsh Willowherb, Big Yellow Trefoil (yeah, I'm sure that's what it's called...) and other such wet-bit plants. Also, in its season, shedloads of Tormentil and nice late season Scabious - if the sheep haven't eaten it. For a very fairly tedious-looking rectangle of grassland there's a lot going on.


Anyway, I digress. I carved up three of the 1000 tussocks today and had three new-for-year and new-for-reserve species, two of which were new-for-me. Huzzah! And I've only started on the minor collection I made. To be fair, I obviously started on what looked the most easy/juicy. The rest will probably add zilch.

One of the nice things which I think I've only seen tussocking, or maybe I also swept it before, is the little red ladybird .

2021 Beetle #73 - Coccidula rufa


More exciting, and at first I lost my bearings on this, was this little, diggy (under)ground beetle. I regret this pic doesn't show its fossorial forelegs. I had been looking forward to seeing Clivina fossor, and even though I clocked its obvious redness in the field (not as apparent here) I only latterly realised that meant it wasn't C.fossor at all, but in fact, C.collaris.

2021 Beetle #74 - Clivina collaris


Third new beetle for the day, and 2nd new beetle for me, was an unexpected click beetle - 

2021 Beetle #75 - Hypnoidus riparius


The latter was species #201 for the year, with species #200 taken by a long-awaited addition - the 35th fly - Pteremis fenestralis. I think I had this before but I never actually caught one so I never added it to the list.
 
2021 Fly #35 - Pteremis fenestralis

Mooned by a lesser dung fly

I will not, unless I'm prevented from getting to the reserve tomorrow, get through the remaining species before I collect even more. Which means tomorrow I will start the day with material in hand. AND I saw the first peeping flowers of Willow breaking out today. I have one baited bottle trap and two baited pitfalls. 

It's about to get real.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, rapid-fire blogging! Good to finally learn what the word Brachycera means ;) I've been messing about on the sea today, but have cleared that backlog of specimens other than a beetle in a rockpool. Need to clear the decks of fly'spider specimens really, and then go get more. I won't, of course, but I should.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If they're in alcohol/on a pin then it's all good. Some of the best flies I've had were from the stock room!

      Delete
  2. Great term that. I will most definitely get overwhelmed. Only just finishing last year's samples!! I do like Hypnoides, a really chunky click

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've previously been a bit wary of clicks but I think I have enough key to get me through now

      Delete
  3. According to Duff's book Clivina fossor is 'widespread and frequent' But, like you, I have never had a sight of one anywhere despite trying hard. Anyway Clivina collaris is some compensation - especially as it's supposed to be less common!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a feeling it's because I pulled the roots of the tussock because they're subterranean. C.fossor was also found near here last year in a tussock

      Delete