Wednesday 28 May 2014

Diary 28 May - 3rd June

28th May - Fungal foray continues
Since the weather was overcast and I still forgot to bring a net anyway I decided to do a round of the woods to see if anything fungal had popped up. I managed to locate a little crop of Sulphur Tuft, and the rust on Meadowsweet that I had just last night looked up from my Dumfries and Galloway trip, as well as another which went into the box for later determination. As I returned to the car I noticed a soldier beetle with black elytrae. I failed to get a decent photo, but it looks like they're not so easy to determine to species anyway, so I'm not at all upset that I missed it. Once the umbellifers are out I'm sure I'll have another shot at some if I want.


350 Triphragmium ulmariae A rust on Meadowsweet veins 28/05/2014
349 Hypholoma fasciculare var. fasciculare Sulphur Tuft 28/05/2014


Hypholoma fasciculare

Triphragmium ulmariae

Tubaria furfuracea again?
29th May
Last night added a couple more from yesterday's vascular plant roundup. Also got a couple of moth IDs in from DD for earlier in the month, so those will push the numbers up of everything. A monster day saw 10 spp. added to the totals, with one moth, one hoverfly, one fungus and one flower species still with ID outstanding. Moths were added literally morning, noon and night!


Lychnis flos-cuculi Ragged-Robin 29/05/2014
Rorippa nasturtium-aquaticum Water-cress 29/05/2014
Trifolium pratense Red Clover 29/05/2014
Vicia sepium Bush Vetch 29/05/2014
Enallagma cyathigerum Common Blue Damselfly 29/05/2014
Crambus lathoniellus Hook-streak Grass-veneer 29/05/2014
Lomaspilis marginata Clouded Border 29/05/2014
Perizoma affinitata Rivulet 29/05/2014
Xanthorhoe fluctuata Garden Carpet 29/05/2014
Xanthorhoe montanata Silver-ground Carpet 29/05/2014

2 comments:

  1. Most of the soldier beetles are easy to ID actually. Even from a photograph for the majority of the Rhagonycha and Cantharis species can be done. (It's the little Malthodes and Malthinus ones which have grey elytra with yellow tips that are difficult IDs). Mark Telfer's site has all the info you need.

    You should have a few more weeks before all the beetles seem to turn into Rhagonycha fulva!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I declined to capture one yesterday as well. OK - if I come across one today it shall be classified as "demanding to be listed" and collected/photographed. Dark elytrae seem to be 'in' at the moment

      Delete